Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Favorite Book or Series




Miss Paula is hosting a book party!  

I love books and love to read so this is fun for me!

When I was a girl I was definitely into Nancy Drew.  My mom signed me up for a book club for the summer, where I received a book every month or every 2 weeks.  They were special Nancy Drew books, as they had two of the mysteries in each book!  Well, I went through these books in about a week!  My mom couldn't keep me in reading material.

As series that I loved from my girlhood were the "All Of A Kind Family", by Sydney Taylor.  I just loved reading about this Jewish family, with all the sisters!  I learned so much about the different holidays, too.


Now, in my adulthood, I adore Jane Austen.  I have read Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Emma.  I am also working on Persuasion.

The last year or two I have started to read many of the different authors who have written "sequels" to these books.  Many are very well done and some are very risque - I am sure Miss Jane wouldn't approve!  I mean really do we need to read about Darcy and Lizzie's marital relations?

A few of the authors I would recommend are Joan Aiken, Amanda Grange, Pamela Aiden, Rebecca Anne Collins.  Some of these are written as from the man's view point as in Amanda Granges' books of diaries by Mr. Darcy, Capt. Wentworth, Mr. Knightley, and Edmund Bertram.  Pamela Aiden has a 3 book series from Mr. Darcy's point of view and it is excellent!

I also love to read Lori Wick, I think "Pretense" and "Bamboo and Lace" are especially great!  Dee Hendersons' "O'Malley" series is a favorite, as is her "Uncommon Heros" series.

I often will reread favorites!  A new series that Miss Paula sent me is the Lake Emily series by Tracie DePree - these are so engaging!  I will definately reread these, maybe this summer!

I love sharing my favorites with my girls....the young ones will be getting the All Of A Kind Family (I found a great source for it) and my older girls read much of what I do.  I am careful with what I read - and careful about what I allow my kids to read.  

Thanks Miss Paula, this was fun!

6 comments:

  1. I used to read Nancy Drew well into the night and then have trouble sleeping for fear of the evil plot...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author I like reading is Beverly Lewis. I loved her series on Abrahams daughters. It is all about the amish people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dee I could go on and on about books all day!!! But I will spare the poor readers!! I might post some more soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mitford series by Jan Karon. Wonderfully alive and full of biblical truths woven into an engaging story. And funny!
    You are wise to monitor what goes into your mind and your childrens' minds.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jen I forgot about the Mitford series! I love those too! I have all of them!

    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a few of the "Darcy" sequels! They try but it's just not the same - still fun to read though!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...