Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I Have Been Thinking

about what a blessing it is to open your home to others.



I have been tired from the hectic pace I have been keeping, nearly dosing off Sunday afternoon at church while watching the wonderful movie Monumental.  If you haven't had the chance to see this film, please get a copy and watch.  It is so good.

Monday we were up at 0' dark thirty, as my Dad likes to say.  We were headed to the Accessories the Show event at the Javits Center, in the big city.  It was a good opportunity to meet new vendors and we have our eyes on some new lines that we would like to bring into the store.

 By yesterday afternoon, I was so sleepy.  I kept dozing off while Kyle read to me...I don't know if he realized it or not.  I was afraid to ask if I had been snoring!

Last evening, the girls played Ultimate Frisbee and some of the group came back to our house, as is the usual pattern.  They are a great bunch of young people...they all have hearts to walk with the Lord and to encourage and help each other.  It is beautiful to watch.  They also have such fun together.  Our friend Denny, had some out of town friends that went to the second show at Sight and Sound and then he took them by the park to meet the frisbee players.  The mom wanted her daughter, age 13 to meet some Christian kids around her age.  They left to go get some dinner, around the time our kids headed to our house.  Denny and they were going to drop by after dinner, and as it got later and later I realized that I was not going to be able to stay awake and headed to bed, while games were being played and Tim and two of the young men had conversation about cars - manual transmission verses automatic transmission.

Just after climbing into bed to read a bit, our new out of town friends dropped in.  I was torn, feeling like I just couldn't get up and go meet them.  I was so tired!  But I had met her brother last year when he was visiting and I didn't want to miss meeting her, and her daughter, so I got dressed in regular clothes again, and went out to say hi.

I am so happy I did.  We had such a lovely conversation and she had many questions about the kids, and their interactions with one another, what do we do about music, etc...she is facing challenges as she parents her new teenager alone.  Kyle talked to her for awhile about his math - he is loving it - he did seven lessons, a bonus round and a quiz yesterday!  She is a teacher of 1st graders and loved chatting with him.  Sarah was her usual sanguine self and made friends with both mother and daughter.

When they left, we issued an invitation to come back to ride horses in the morning and to come stay with us anytime.  Fellowship is such a wonderful thing.  I am thankful for resisting the urge to stay in bed, and say that I would meet them another time.

I was greatly blessed to have met our new friends.  I tucked the little folk into bed and said good night to my older girls.  They bless me daily.  I am so proud of them.

I climbed back into bed with my energy renewed, and a thankful heart.  A bit of reading and I was ready to sleep.

I am grateful, so grateful, for the opportunities the Lord brings our way.  Thankful that He gave us the opportunity to be a small part of encouragement to a sister in the Lord.




Hebrew 13:2 Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.


6 comments:

  1. When I started reading this post, this very scripture came to mind.I am always so thankful and amazed at how God renews my strength just when I think I have gone my limit.Another thing I have realized is that the strength that comes from the Lord is so rejuvenating! I truly am blessed and encouraged by your thoughts today.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what that took to get back out of bed...an extra touch from the Lord for one. I imagine that you slept like a baby that night. It was well worth the effort and I hope that you stay in touch.

    Kyle and Sarah could probably have carried on without you, though. ;>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren enjoyed time with the kids and Denny at the park. How wonderful that hospitality won over exhaustion. Somehow God gave you the boost you needed and a blessing for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have taken this Scripture to heart and opened your home and heart to strangers. This inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Stephanie was in college, we lived in a very large house that many times held over 100 people (about 150 for their wedding open house).

    Sometimes I miss that house but then I realize that God in His wisdom has given me a smaller house that is all I can handle given circumstances.

    But it was so much fun having her college Christian group friends over for snacks and remembering a very young Christopher following them around, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, Deanna! Hospitality is not always convenient, but it is always a blessing! Why don't we do it more? (And I am speaking to myself here.)

    How wonderful that you did the "inconvenient" thing, and you all reaped the blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...