Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Local Strawberries

 This year local strawberries are about $6 a quart. Like everything the prices are much higher than in the last few years. We do allow our grocery budget to pay for these because there is nothing like a local strawberry!


I have come to learn that most 'fresh' produce in grocery stores, has been hybridized so that the products, such as berries, tomatoes, and others that would quickly breakdown and rot, stay good on the shelves longer. I see the benefit to both growers and store owners, however the flavor is gone!

Enter the locally grown berry, or tomato. Delicious.

We are enjoying seasonal fruits now and it's a great way to eat. 


I have a few strawberry plants in a pot but just get a few berries every year. I'll need to put them in a raised bed if I want to produce enough for the family to enjoy! Which after this year I may more seriously consider!

Do you grow strawberries?


5 comments:

  1. I tried last year down at the ranch but the bunnies got most of them. I think I got 3 or 4 tiny ones to garnish my tea with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they do look delicious! It will be quite a few weeks before I can test the flavor of a fresh strawberry. I wanted to buy some fruit this morning, but the prices were simply too much for me. I do have bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a couple of rows of strawberries at the farmhouse, but none here at Pineapple House. They certainly are better fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Local grown is the only way!!!! -smile-

    And thank you for the suggestion of looking at Australian Royal News! I had forgotten that they do very *cheeky* bits, on the *Harkles*!!!!!! (Harry and Meghan) >'-)))))))))))

    Gentle hugs
    💛😊💛😊💛

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't grow any fruits or veggies now, and I sure do miss them! Those strawberries are gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

This And That

  Marketplace has been good to me once again! I found this darling loveseat for $40! It's clean with no stains. The cushion covers come ...