Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Chalk Paint: A Bookcase Makeover

We've had this bookcase for close to 20 years.  It has served us well but was in need of some freshening up.  It was crying out for a makeover!

 I almost forgot to take before shots. And yes.  I paint in my bedroom.  I have a lot of room in there.  What you can't see is I was listening to Pandora, the Downton Abbey station!  Did you know there was such a thing?  I read about it yesterday. They play the music from the series and other sound tracks similar to it.  Very nice!  You should check it out!

Anyway, back to the bookcase.

 
 See it was crying out for a change!



 The shelves are just oak laminate.  


Here it is with two coats of Annie Sloan Old White.  Love it! You also get a peek into my master bathroom.  See that tired old 80's oak vanity?  It's getting a makeover soon!  Swoon!

I have to do the shelves today.  I only started the whole project around five o'clock yesterday afternoon Rachel went to work, Sarah went to read a book, Tim and Kyle were gone.  So yeah, this is how I roll!  I put the first coat on, went and made dinner.  Tim, Kyle, Sarah and I ate, then I went and put on the second coat!  Easy peasy.

Funny story but true:  During the second coat of paint Kyle and Sarah were watching a movie on the tv behind the bookcase.  The bookcase and I are both short enough that we didn't get in their way!  Ha ha!

I'm not certain yet how I will finish this bookcase.  After the clear wax, will I do dark wax in some of the detail areas or not?  I'm still pondering it.

More to come....  

10 comments:

  1. It looks so nice and fresh! A brand new book case. Did you feel ha you were the star of the show? =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw lots of typos...too late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refinishing furniture is a great idea. We've done quite a bit of that too. Your project looks nice so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new version of your bookcase. I can't wait to see you paint you bathroom vanity. I have two bathrooms with oak vanities that I have been wanting to paint for the past 10 years. I'm hoping your inspire me to get my courage up to tackle my outdated cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that annie sloan paint! I was just explaining it all to my cousin today. I'll be interested to see how you distress it with the dark wax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking good, so fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your makeover bookcase looks better than new!! Wonderful!! Yes, paint that vanity!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project! Love getting a fresh new look to old items:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Instant change! I'm such a fan of white. I didn't know about the Pandora station. Will check that out and pass it along to my daughter in case she doesn't know.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

This And That

  Marketplace has been good to me once again! I found this darling loveseat for $40! It's clean with no stains. The cushion covers come ...