Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Freestone Peaches Are The Best Part Of Summer!

 It's peach season in Pennsylvania! This is the best thing about summer in my book!


Freestone means that the fruit comes away freely from the pit of the peach.  Freestone peaches have such great flavor, and the ones I am showing you today, are called Red Haven.  They are one of the earliest of the season to be ready and they are delicious!


I always buy a half bushel of Red Havens and savor them.  
 

We've already been enjoying the ripe ones and these in the box are still not ripe.  They will be in a few days.  I'll cut them up for eating, and I'll freeze some.  Its so delightful to eat these peaches in January!

We have about 8 weeks or so to enjoy a wide variety of peaches.  Sun High, Loring, John Boy, Crest Haven, Bounty, Flaming Fury.  Flaming Fury are another favorite! This list goes on.

My favorite season is coming, but I'm going to savor the end of summer goodness.  Peaches make the hot, humid weather we've been having worthwhile.

Do you love peaches?  What is your favorite?


8 comments:

  1. gorgeous fruit!
    there are particular things i miss from our former home. the garden is but one. and in that garden was a dwarf peach tree which supplied enough peaches in august for two pies. in our new surroundings deep in the forest we have a couple apple trees. both are bearing fruit but after years of neglect by the former owner it'll take more than a season to bring them to rights. looking forward to a future harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to stop by the roadside in France and buy from the local sellers. Both pink and white peaches were delicious. They dont grow here sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🍑I love the taste, shudder over the fuzz. 😖

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, freestone peaches are the best! I still have one more "canned" jar from last year's preserving session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my mouth is watering!!!!!!

    They are gorgeous!!!!!!

    We got some peaches at a farm stand and they were awful. No more, from there.

    We certainly should be having Free Stone, in grocery stores though. We go early, with few customers. Must look!!!!!!!!

    Ohhhh.... More beautiful than jewels.

    'Miss BB'🐝🐝
    "Beside a babbling brook" blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not peach-savvy enough to know which variety I like best, but I do love a ripe, juicy peach!! I also like them in scones or cobbler or pie . . .

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

This And That

  Marketplace has been good to me once again! I found this darling loveseat for $40! It's clean with no stains. The cushion covers come ...