Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

For The Love Of Tartan

 As you can tell from my header, I have a love of tartan plaid! At Christmas it is the red plaid that is called Royal Stewart. I use it in my ribbons for decor and wrapping, I use it in my throw blankets, I wear it ( I have a pair of sneakers, too!) with my poncho and a wrap.

For my birthday Tim bought me a Portuguese Flannel blanket sheet from The Vermont Country Store



I had him buy me a twin size since I wanted to use it to wrap up in, cozy up a chair, fold along the bottom of my bed. It is the softest flannel I've ever touched.

Tim and I both have Scottish heritage, though he ended up with a German last name from the small percentage of German in his family. He is mostly English and Scottish. His grandmother is a Campbell. 

My family is mostly English, Scottish, Irish, and we have viking blood, too. Our family surname started on the Isle of Skye and we were a sept clan to the Mc Donald clan.

My dad in his kilt. Mc Donald Lord of the Isles tartan, I believe, that is the branch we were sept to, and were the bards of the clan. Which means that the bard stayed close to Lord Mc Donald so he could record the clan history.

If you know anything about Scottish history, you know there is bad blood between the Campbell's and Mc Donald's. Tim and I did not know this when we married, but now we like to say that our marriage is bringing peace to the clans! (grin)

Kyle at my Dad's 75th bday, wearing his clan Campbell tie!





I'm using these wee scotty dogs, that I made several years ago, as my gift tags this year!







Well, thanks for letting me share my love of tartan today. Sometimes when the world is heavy on my heart, focusing on cheering things is helpful.

 I found out yesterday that a dear blog acquaintance lost her only child several days ago. Her son was in his mid 20's. He died in his sleep after being diagnosed with cov*d pneumonia and sent home from the hospital. It's just horrifying.

Praying for Linda and her family. 









4 comments:

  1. Very sad news, Deanna. Sometimes a little bit of whimsy does distract us from the scary news we're surrounded with. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for Linda. I can't imagine. May God comfort her as she grieves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Linda and her husband are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

    You sure do love a tartan! My family sounds Italian. They've got a speck of Italian blood...about as much as that politician who believes herself to be Native American. 😉 Nevertheless, they have the name and that's why we like Italian food. Do you folks like haggis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tartan Christmas is wonderful! Nothing says Christmas like red plaid. :) So sorry to read about Linda's son. How devastating. She and family are in my prayers. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...