Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

In Praise Of Small Houses - Kitchen

 The hardest working room in our home is our kitchen. It is open to the living room, and while that has draw backs, it has allowed us to have a lot of room when we host people.

Here is what our kitchen looked like in the early years of living here. We replaced all the cabinets when we moved in, and bought a new fridge. 


With our big Farmhouse table Tim built, we sometimes had it this way, then I'd change it to the other way.


In 21 years I have made a lot of meals in this house!

One day I finally got the courage to paint my cabinets and have never regretted it!

As you can tell from these photos, I also move things around. I'm always trying to find a good working situation for the way we live in our house at different times. 

The needs we had when we had 6 kids living here, is different than now when we have one kid (he's 17) full time, one kid (she's 20) part time, and my parents living here, too!


We've also replaced all the appliances over the years. And I've changed out my chandelier three times. Once with a $5 yard sale find that I painted black, and the current one I got for $50 on marketplace and used rub n buff and some new crystals to get good sparkle!


Here is my kitchen this morning. Tim's work stuff on the table, fruit drying on the counter. Real life living in my kitchen.


I'm thankful for this space, and if we ever do the addition, and move the kitchen I will be grateful to have a bit more room for living space. And you see the window and cabinets there? That would be where our dining table goes. Lots of thinking, praying, and planning going on here.

Do you live in a small house? What is your favorite room in your house?

4 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting to be making plans. These may not seem to be ideal times, but time is always marching on. That's why my brother-in-law is building a barn. He realized that he is not getting any younger. 😏

    Anyway, I always feel at home here. You have created a lovely space with pretty things and cozy seating. Your table is so nice and large for all those who gather around it. Perfect!

    Yes, I have a small home. I now have a square table that formerly belonged to my parents. It doesn't matter which way I turn it. ☺️ My favorite room is often the one I am in. I spend most of my time in the living room area that John built. Yes, feeling very at home here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes my house is only 1325 square feet. Perfect for us, as we are retired and nobody living with us. 15 + years ago, we lived in our 34 foot motorhome for a few seasons to pay off our debt. Those were the best years - and I even had a "one-butt" kitchen.

    No favorite room - I enjoy all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in a small house, 1300 sq feet. I love my little house so much. My kitchen is not completely open to the living room..... enough that I don't feel cut off but enough to hide the mess from the door. I painted my cabinets about 5 yrs ago after trying to talk my husband into letting me paint for over 20 yrs. He still comments on how much nicer it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in a small house, but I do have a big kitchen. We added it, but it's literally 1/2 the house! That's ok though, it's the room we spend the most time in, like you! Ps- love the current chandelier. How fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...