Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blueberry Citrus Cake

A few years ago, one of the Grandmas of Hospitality Lane brought an amazing cake to one of our fellowship meals.  She is very casual when she speaks about her amazing cooking and said "Oh, I got it out of a cookbook I have had for a long time."  I began asking for the recipe!

She gave me the recipe earlier this year and finally, Wednesday, I had all the ingredients on hand and I made this yummy cake.  

 While I ran an unexpected errand this afternoon, Rachel made the frosting.  This cake can be made into a layer cake with this delightful frosting in between the layers as well....sigh!
 


I know you are all drooling onto your keyboards about now, so I shall share the recipe with you -

Blueberry Citrus Cake

Ingredients

1 box lemon cake mix
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup cooking oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 T. lemon zest
1 T. orange zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and lightly flour two 8 inch or 9 inch round cake pans.  You can also use a 9x13 pan.  Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, orange juice, water, oil, and eggs.  Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, increase speed to medium beat for 2 minutes.  With a spoon gently fold in blueberries, lemon zest and orange zest.  Pour batter into prepare pans.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until something poked into the middle of the cake comes out clean!  Cool layers in pan for 10 minutes and then remove cakes from the pans, and cool them on a wire rack.   For a 9x13 pan simply allow the cake to cool completely.
Frost with Citrus Frosting.  Store cake covered in the refrigerator.

Citrus Frosting
In a mixing bowl combine 
1/4 cup butter (softened)
3 oz of cream cheese
Add 3 cups of powdered sugar
and 2 Tablespoons orange juice
Beat until combined.  In a small bowl beat 1 cup whipping cream until soft peaks, add to cream cheese mixture.  Add 2 T. orange zest and 2 T. lemon zest. Beat on low until combined.

This would be a great cake to serve with tea!  It is easy to make and delightful to eat!

9 comments:

  1. simply swoonie then thud...
    must. make. this.
    jAne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks/sounds WONDERFUL. Question: When orange juice is mentioned, does it mean the concentrate or juice itself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty yum - but cakes such as this are quickly becoming my enemy - I get these sugar headaches settling in within hours - fighting one this morning because I had some cake yesterday at our end of year luncheon. I'm discovering gluten free and low sugar alternatives, but I shall miss my pastries and cakes. Whaaaa-moan-groan . . .
    Joy in deprivation,
    Miss Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a July 4th dessert to make for the holiday...and I think I found it! I am placing this in my Delicious roll for my readers! Our tummys thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy!

    Have a blessed day,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look and sound scrumptious! Am I losing it though? Where are the blueberries? :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Oh, my...since my stomach started growling at the first glance of that tiny icon pic, I guess this is a sign I must try this cake! Thanks..extra blueberries in the fridge right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tasted Georgia's version of this cake and I think that at some point I should try yours to make a fair comparison, don't you????

    Oh, it is good. I'm evil, trying to sneak some in any way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Rabe,
    I made this cake yesterday and we all had to sample it LOL! Delicious! Thanks for sharing. I already added it to my recipe box!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Good Friday