Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, July 5, 2021

Weekend

 I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, but especially those of you who are Americans! What a fabulous Independence Day! Our family gathered and we had a really good time.

We had lots of good food, the grands ran around outside, some of us played Quirkle. Then it got dark and we went outside and enjoyed fireworks.

It's dark around 9:00 here so when we were done with the fireworks, the party broke up and everyone went home.

Do you know why we celebrate with fireworks as a nation? After voting to declare independence on July 2nd, the founders signed the Official copy of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. On July 3rd, John Adams wrote in a letter to his wife Abigail the following - 


"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. -- I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. -- Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."

Here is our celebration in a few photos and a video.












It wasn't hot enough for swimming, so no one did that. But it is all ready to go, and it's looking like a hot week ahead so I think we'll get some use out of it soon!

Here are a few good things I found on Instagram yesterday.




Back tomorrow with some talk about upcoming changes to our household, and getting the plans finalized for the addition for my parents.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, we enjoyed similar foods and people did hang around the table just like that. ☺ Then, toward the end of the day, the sun came out and we actually squeaked in a game of Wiffle Ball. Great Day and I am grateful to God for the blessings I have in this country and the reminder that my rights and blessings come from Him not some corrupt government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love John Adam's letter!

    And the watermelon stars and blueberries, on a stick!!!!!!! Never seen these before!

    It's been raining and very cool, but the 'Grands' finally swam, yesterday! Later... After getting nice and hot, playing some wiffle ball game. -smile-

    Gentle hugs...
    πŸŒΏπŸŒΌπŸŒΏπŸ’›πŸŒΏπŸŒΌπŸŒΏ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love my Country and the watermelon/blueberry sparkler is one I am going to save:) Enjoy your day dear friend, can't wait to hear about changes ahead! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my country - land that i love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had the same strawberry jello, Cool Whip that we make in my husbands family! Love the watermelon and blueberry idea.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...